Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:35:05 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Morgan_Wesstr=F6m?= <freebsd-questions@pp.dyndns.biz>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bsnmpd vs net-snmp

> net-snmp has no problems providing 64-bit counters (interface and
> disk).  You must build it with -DWITH_MFD_REWRITES (passes
> --with-mfd-rewrites to ./configure).  I do not know why this is not the
> default.  It works just fine.  I also have a PR open to make this define
> a ports 'make config' option (therefore a persistent setting), but the
> maintainer has ignored this.

This post caught my attention because I've had a 64 bit -> 32 bit
truncation error in my SNMP logs since I installed net-snmp on my AMD64
a year ago. I was unable to figure out how to add -DWITH_MFD_REWRITES to
make so I ended up editing the Makefile and added --enable-mfd-rewrites
(the compile told me --with-mfd-rewrites had been replace by
--enable-mfd-rewrites). My error messages now seems to have disappeared
so I'm extremely happy. I later found the following info in NEWS:

   Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD:
      - Experimental support for 64bit interface counters (ifXTable). Enable
        via '--with-mib-modules=if-mib --enable-mfd-rewrites'.

So I have two questions:

1) Is --with-mib-modules=if-mib already covered in the Makefile? I can
see the parameter but it refers to a variable I don't know the contents
of. The variable seems to refer to the build option NET_SNMP_MIB_MODULES
which is mentioned at the beginning of the compile process but I don't
know how to use it or its initial value.

2) Is there anyway to enable these two options during make without
editing the Makefile?

Regards
Morgan