Date:      Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:46:25 -0500
From:      Dan Rue <drue@therub.org>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@bfoz.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Create 2.5TB file system on 5.4S?

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 02:04:43PM -0700, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> Now that my shiny new 9500S is installed and not fighting for IRQs, I've
> created and initialized a ~2.5TB array using the bios utility. So the next
> step is mounting the new array.
> I naively tried following the regular handbook instructions for adding a
> new drive and failed miserably. And after googling a bit I now know why,
> and realized that I knew why before, but I was being stupid.
> I've seen a few mentions of using gpt(8) and some vague references to using
> dedicated mode. But I haven't seen anything that says "this is the Right
> Way to do it". So...what's the proper way to make a large file system?

Hi Brandon,

I recently dealt with the same controller, with a 3TB array.  My
solution is tons easier than dealing with gpt or breaking it up.  So
long as you don't need to boot from the raid, and you just want it as
one big disk, forget partitioning it.  newfs the device directly, and
mount it directly.

drue@leopard:~$ df -h
/dev/da0       2.6T    182G    2.3T     7%    /d

I just did a newfs on /dev/da0 and mounted it.  Works /great/.  No fuss.

Dan