Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:34:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@video-collage.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recovering disk

Julian Elischer once stated:

=firstly
=
=fdisk partitions cannot start at 0
=
=usually they start either at 1 or at 64 or at the beginning of the 2nd
=cylinder. how did you make that drive? different methids will have done
=differnt things.

I think I used the "dangerous" method, but it was a long time ago...
According to fdisk, there was only one FreeBSD partition:

	The data for partition 4 is:
	sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
	    start 1, size 4193639 (2047 Meg), flag 80 (active)
	    beg: cyl 0/ sector 2/ head 0;
	    end: cyl 457/ sector 44/ head 10

Is this what sd1s1 refers to? If so, I do not need to bother with
fdisk at all and proceed to the disklabel... So what should I do
instead of the plain:

	root@rtfm:/home/mi (108) disklabel -e sd1
	disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument

Where is disklabel stored on the disk, can it be saved on top of
my filesystem (which, I think, starts about 64Mb from the beginning
of the disk)?

=the fdisk was possibly still there..
=if so, it was the disklabel that was gone..

=this is likely because it appears to have complained about  abad label
=rather than a bad MBR.

I hope the above will further help you help me... Thanks a lot! Sorry
to waste your time.

	-mi