Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:53:41 -0600
From:      James Earl <jdearl@telus.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 problem when on battery and AGP/ACPI

Hi,

This problem is beyond me!  Here's the ingredients to the best of my
knowledge:

- 5.1-RELEASE (w/ver 1.17 agp_intel.c) or 5.1-CURRENT (Saturday)
- device agp in kernel
- ACPI enabled
- ThinkPad R40 w/ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY
- ** Running off of the battery **

With this setup XFree86 will load up and run just fine.  The problem is
when I exit XFree86 and try to start it again, or for instance if I use
gdm - login, then log off back to gdm screen, the gdm screen will only
partially display and nothing will respond.  Another problem with this
problem ;) is that it isn't consistant.

When the system freezes up, the mouse does move, but jumps slowly from
place to place, and the HDD light flashes occasionally.

If I remove 'device agp' in the kernel, everything works fine (with
ACPI enabled), or if I disable ACPI everything works fine (with AGP
enabled).  My guess would be an ACPI problem... and everyones probably
saying just disable ACPI!  :)

Has anyone had a similar problem?