Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 2010 21:46:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, amdmi3@amdmi3.ru
Subject:   Re: NFS write corruption on 8.0-RELEASE

Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru> wrote:
 > I think I've reported that before, the I thought it's been fixed,
 > however I still get data corruptions when writing on NFS volumes.
 > Now I wonder - is nobody really using NFS, or do I have that much
 > of uncommon setup, or this is some kind of local problem?

NFS works fine for me.  I'm using -stable, not -release,
though.

 > Client: 8.0-RELEASE i386
 > Server: 8.0-RELEASE amd64
 >
 > mount options:
 > nfs rw,nosuid,noexec,nfsv3,intr,soft,tcp,bg,nolockd

I recommend not using the "soft" option.

This is an excerpt from Solaris' mount_nfs(1M) manpage:

    File systems that are mounted read-write or that  con-
    tain  executable  files  should always be mounted with
    the hard option.  Applications using soft mounted file
    systems  may incur unexpected I/O errors, file corrup-
    tion, and unexpected  program  core  dumps.  The  soft
    option is not recommended.

FreeBSD's manual page doesn't contain such a warning, but
maybe it should.  (It contains a warning not to use "soft"
with NFSv4, though, for different reasons.)

Also note that the "nolockd" option means that processes
on different clients won't see each other's locks.  That
means that you will get corruption if they rely on
locking.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Perl will consistently give you what you want,
unless what you want is consistency."
        -- Larry Wall