Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 17:32:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Does this impose a high load on a system?

Hello,

I am running a nice little program named arpwatch. It collects
information about new machines being attached to a network.
I do this because I can monitor if someone links a new
machine to our nets.

For this operation, the network interface is put into promiscuous mode.
IIRC, this means that all packets are passed to the kernel and maybe
even all to the running program (arpwatch). I wonder if this causes
a high load on the machine since I think it might have to process
a lot of packages which normally would have thrown away.

When looking at the arpwatch process, the time consumed is rather
low but I don't know what's going on in a different place maybe...

Thanks,

	-Andre