Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 11:41:52 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers list <FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: all this talk about routers and all...

On Sat, 25 May 1996, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> Granted, I did learn quit some interesting things from the holy war
> we are currently experiencing.
>
> But I cannot get rid of the feeling this is _NOT_ a -hackers issue but
> more a religious war. Any chance this can be moved to a
> -freebsd-kills-dedicated-network-hardware mailing list??

A lot of the discussion as gone on tangents, but I think the primary topic
is very hacker material.  The big value add of the Ascend is software
technology, I don't think the hardware of the boxes is really the
overwhelming big value add.  ISDN is what gives you the density and Ascend
has taken advantage of it in a big way.

Having said that, I don't want people to get the impression that this is a
FreeBSD vs. Ascend religious war.  This about making an ISDN solution with
FreeBSD.

Ascend just naturally comes up as a benchmark but I don't think
its necessary for the advocates of Ascend to defend it unless there is
blatant misinformation posted in this mailing list.

I'm interested in seeing something work with FreeBSD because Net/3 is
world class code, the radix trie stuff makes routing very efficient.
Maybe some of van Jacobson's post Net/3 research on large contiguous
buffers will find it's way into BSD when the cost of RAM becomes less of
an issue.

I would also like to see some world class ISDN work done on BSD systems.

I'm not a networking god, but I'll buy an SDLComm card and help test it if
someone picks up the ball and runs with it.  I think Greg in Germany is
looking into doing this now.

-mh