Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 11:43:36 -0400
From:      Dave Blizzard <blizzard@canoe.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        blizzard@canoe.ca
Subject:   FreeBSD.NOT

Ok I have to admit defeat.
 For three weeks I have tried every permutation of installing Free BSD
on a 386 and 486 pc so that it installs on a SCSI drive purchased
especially for the install.
The problem is that I have an IDE drive as drive C and the SCSI as
drive D. DOS sees everything fine and I have no hardware conflicts.
What were the problems?
1) BSD's Fdisk cannot see the correct geometry for the SCSI drive.
Even though I plug in the right numbers for the drive, BSD adds the
size of the IDE drive to the SCSI drive and then destroys the
partition table of both drives.
Even when I dedicate the entire SCSI drive to FreeBSD, The install
destroys the IDE partition and Boot sectors.

2) The installer destroys the partition table of the IDE drive even if
the install is aborted. I assume that that last little syncing drives
1...2... is what does it before the install quits.

3) Even though the install seems to go without errors, the bootmgr
uses virus technology (sic) to install itself in track 0 sector 1.
This cannot be removed by using fdisk /mbr as it also seems that the
track is write protected. Even diskedit cannot zero out the sector.
This has cause several screaming fits around here as the only low
level format I have is in the bios of my old 386 board so I then have
to reinstall it to retrieve the drive.
SOMEONE WHOULD WARN USERS OF THIS.
THE RECOVERY PROCEDURE IS AS FOLLOWS:
low level format the drive
install DOS from the original setup. The usual procedures (format &
fdisk etc) do not work I suspect because they use BIOS routines while
the original DOS install writes directly to the disk

4 Even if I put a small BSD partition on the IDE drive for root and
swap, the BSD fdisk still screws up the SCSI partitions (thinks the
drive is much larger than reality) and then destroys the IDE drive.

5 The FIPS program has a serious bug in it as it creates a second
primary dos partition which confuses the hell out of DOS

Short of dedicating a complete machine to BSD, is there any way to
install BSD on a SCSI drive D when an IDE drive is already installed.

How can one deinstall the stupid Bootmgr??? The last response to this
question was some words about patching INT13 but had no real mechanism
or software to do this.

Sorry if this sounds like I am venting here but something is seriously
wrong with the docs or I just don't understand this OS.