Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 21:50:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: continuing interrupted 'make buildworld'

Giorgos -

Thanks for the note.

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> The buildkernel target will run a "make clean" before building the new
> kernel, in an effort to be on the safe side.  This will delete all the
> old kernel's object files (anything that had been compiled before the
> interruption took place).  Thus, all files will be compiled again...

> This is exactly what the original question was about.  -DNOCLEAN
> inhibits the Makefiles from running "make clean".  I don't know if
> this is a sufficiently explanatory answer, but anyone curious enough
> can always look up the exact commands that the buildkernel make target
> runs at /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 :-)

I am in a bit of a quandry with my upgrade from RELENG_4_5 to RELENG_4_6.

 1. I got the not-unfamiliar compiler bomb-out on alloc_entry.c in
    ncurses/ncurses/tminfo (or close).

 2. I backed off to RELENG_4_5 and got a clean cvsup and 'make buildworld'

 3. RELENG_4_5 and RELENG_4_6 have identical versions of the file on which
    cc bombed, and the version of gcc in 4_5 seems to be the latest, and
    presumably the same as anticipated for 4_6. ['make' is a bit dated
    (compared with what 'gcc' is claimed to need); perhaps I need to upgrade
    that package.]

 4. I followed 'make buildworld' in RELENG_4_5 with a 'cvsup' to
    RELENG_4_6 and a 'make -DNOCLEAN buildworld', which ran cleanly to
    completion, as did 'make buildkernel'.
    #$%&!!!

My fear is that I'm running with part of my 'world' compiled in RELENG_4_5
sources and part in RELENG_4_6 sources. I guess as soon as I am running on
4_6, I will immediately remake 'world' and kernel and see how it goes.

I am seeing lots of log streaming by, but so far I don't think I've
actually learned anything.

Cheers, and thanks for the patient help.

 - John Mills