Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 1997 10:02:01 -0700
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        hoek@hwcn.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat List <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

If someone wants tcsh, someone else wants bash, so we should include
both. Since everyone uses mail some of us prefer pine, others want elm,
and others want mh. Of course some Linux distributions also include
samba and tcpd. And noone should want to live without PERL5...  Which
shell you use is, in fact, almost irrelevant when compared to having
other apps like a good editor.
There should be an option on the package installation that automatically
selects a basic set of utilities. And this could be done at various
levels (packages for webmasters, "basic games" and so on). Perhaps an
option that lets you select the whole branch of interest would be good.

The problem here (IMO) is classification: how do you decide which ports
are good or which are bad? Should we start rating them with *stars* like
movies? Even if we recommend certain ports to new users, if they don't
learn how to add packages they are losing the Big Picture (TM).

	Pedro.