Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:58:29 +0100
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        "Lawrence Farr" <l.farr@epcdirect.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make Release failure.

Lawrence> Is there a current problem with GENERIC being too big?

I hit the same problem, so I went back to a totally standard config.
It appears that if you use CPUTYPE=p3, you now get a BOOTMFS kernel
that is slightly too big.  If you drop CPUTYPE=p3 from your config,
then it still works fine.

I guess something that changed in the last week or so pushed the
slightly larger (but maybe faster) -march=pentiumpro kernel over the
top.

Suggestions on how to easily reduce it back down (other than by
dropping the -march) welcomed.  I guess it might be time to edit
GENERIC down to suit my local needs.
--
Alan