Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2005 02:38:35 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TSC instead of ACPI: powerd doesn't work anymore (to be expected?)

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> I switched the timecounter used to use the TSC instead of the ACPI one
> (/etc/sysctl.conf). After rebooting powerd refused to start. I removed the
> line which changes the timecounter in sysctl.conf and powerd starts again.

I haven't been keeping track of cpufreq lately, but I added a check into
my est driver a long time ago to make it return EBUSY if the TSC is being
used as a timecounter.  This is important because otherwise all sorts of
Bad Things could happen when the clock stops running at the expected rate.

Colin Percival