Date:      Sat,  6 Nov 1999 23:39:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        mholloway@flashmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hi Andrew

Mark L. Holloway writes:
 > Sorry for being vague on my FreeBSD/X Windows on Alpha problem.  I downloaded
 > the boot floppies for Alpha and installed 3.2-RELEASE.  The distro I select
 > was "X Developer", which I've done many times on x86.  I have two Alphas (and
 > both suffer from the same issue).  One is an Alpha 255/Permedia 1 and the other
 > is an Alpha 500a PWS/Permedia 2 - and I know X works great with these cards
 > on Alpha Linux.  I don't think the issue is X itself, but after the download
 > has completed and I reboot, I can't even find my X files.  I was looking for
 > the X setup program, but I couldn't even "find" or "whereis" it.  3.2 was looking
 > for X 3.3.3.x but the "ports" I installed looked for X 3.3.5.  If I then do
 > a /stand/sysinstall and select to install X, it acts like it's retrieving the
 > files but it doesn't.  I couldn't find a variable to tell it I want 3.3.5 instead
 > of 3.3.3.1 or whatever it is that 3.2 looks for.

<I've added freebsd-alpha back to the CC list>

Unfortunately, there are no pre-packaged X11 binaries for the alpha.
Apparently the install process doesn't make this terribly clear.  I'm
not sure why there's no binary dist, perhaps it is because VGA16
server doesn't work on alpha, so the XF86 install program won't work.
I'm really not sure.  I don't pay much attention to install issues..

Anyway, the upshot is that you'll need to build X yourself, from
ports.

Its my understanding that all of this will be cleaned up when XFree86
4.0 comes out.

 > I really appreciate any feedback.  Although I've only been using FreeBSD x86
 > for less than a year, I really enjoy it.  Ever since Q/MS dropped NT on Alpha
 > I decided to load FreeBSD on my Alphas.. I tried Red Hat and it loaded perfects,
 > but I do not care for Linux at all..nothing personal, I just enjoy the feel
 > of FreeBSD and BSDI more.  Thanks for your help!

Thanks.  We appreciate your loyalty ;-)

Sorry for your install pain.

Cheers,

Drew