Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:52:34 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        veenoghu@uvic.ca, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Craig Critchley <craigc@nwlink.com>, Smc659@aol.com
Subject:   Re: Locking myself out of Root @ Wheel

On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 12:17:35AM -0700, Morgan Stewart wrote:
> >i think on bsd you have to be a member of wheel to su - an extra layer of
> >security.
> >
> >you should be able to remount the fs as rw in single user mode.
> >it defaults to ro so you have time to fsck it before matters get worse in the
> >event of a crash.
> >
> >If you have "The Complete FreeBSD" its in ch12, Starting and Stopping The
> >System.

now would be a good time ti implement some important stuff sue
kept pounding into my thick head .. backup, backup, backup and
when you think you have done enough do another backup.

greg, puts in a passable parragraph or two in 'tcfbsd' (1)
about how to use a std floppy diskette, also sue did a piece
for deamonnews a while ago about how to use floppy diskettes as
a basic storage device.

a diskette would be an ideal place to put these pesky config
files from /etc if you use good quality diskettes and make a
two diskette combination and keep one in a data safe (of a cool
dry place out of harms way -- i.e. no in your shirt pocket or
sue's deamon emblazoned black f.l.skirt's pocket) and the other
one in a envelope or diskette caddy in your desk drawer.

i've found doing simple things like this manages to keep panaic
attacks to a minimum. though i use a 500mb scsi streamer tape
or the odd 150/250 mb tapes i've got laying around. no need to
bak up the lot, just those important stuff and you can even use
a formated but not fs'd diskette as tar will write to a raw
device. please check this bit of infrmation i could have
confused it with another tar alike that will do just that. i
mean write to a formated but not fs'd (as a raw device i think)
diskette.

someting to think about fro next time ... cheers

regards

jonathan

> >Disclaimer: newbie information...
> >                ...Craig