Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 1996 14:21:18 -0800
From:      jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   If you want to see a FreeBSD magazine, please respond to this one!

From: fyl@ssc.com (Phil Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc
Subject: Re: a monthly FreeBSD magazine (and other *BSD's too)
Date: 6 Jan 1996 16:50:43 GMT

For those who don't immediately recognize me, I am the publisher of Linux
Journal.  About two weeks ago I posted note in this thread about what
it would take to get us (or someone else) to start a *BSD magazine.
Someone had suggested that many of the Linux Journal readers really used
*BSD and just read LJ because there was no *BSD magazine.
I suggested that if the *BSD community was out there, they should speak
up.  That is, we get lots of letters to the editor of LJ and none that I
can remember have said "I use *BSD, not Linux".

You guys are going to need to do a lot better than that if you want
anyone in the publishing industry to take you seriously.

This is not intended to taunt anyone.  I really would like to see some
response and, if it appears, I would either entertain SSC publishing an
BSD-related magazine or helping someone else start such a publication.
But, right now, we have support from many of the Linux developers, about
30,000 readers (subscribers, newsstand sales and show give-aways) and
from the commercial community in the form of advertising.

As for advertising, one of our advertisers had to be dragged into the
Linux community.  A majority of the sales of one of their products and a
substantial portion of their company business is now to Linux users.
Joanne Wagner (LJ advertising representative) and I know what it takes to
get people to advertise in an unknown magazine covering a "free" and
unknown market.  We know because we did it with Linux Journal.  FreeBSD,
NETBSD, etc need to be able to show potential advertisers what the
magazine will do for them or they need to find someone who has a pile of
money and thinks blowing $20,000-$50,000/issue would be fun.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)PUBS-REF
    E-mail: phil@ssc.com  Phone: (206)782-7733  Fax: (206)782-7191
SSC/Linux Journal web site: http://www.ssc.com/