Date:      Tue, 05 Feb 2008 22:01:57 -0500
From:      "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@optonline.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
Subject:   Re: Compiz-fusion article

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 01:39:07 Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> E. J. Cerejo wrote:
> > Manolis Kiagias wrote:

> >> Never thought this was such a sought-after feature :)
> >>
> >> Anyway, here is a quick article I just wrote:
> >>
> >> http://store.itsyourftp.com/~sonic2000gr/freebsd/compiz-fusion/article.h
> >>tml
> >>

> >> Your feedback is welcome.
> >>
> >> Manolis
> >
> > I have it working now but there are two issues that I seem not to be
> > able to solve.  First compiz will start when x starts but emerald
> > won't start and I get no window borders and can't move them.  Solution
> > is to open the terminal window and run emerald --replace &.  Second
> > issue is with compiz, I open ccsm to configure my 3d effects but they
> > won't get saved, it will let me select them or unselect them but once
> > I close ccsm and run it again every change is gone and the defaults
> > are back.  Any Ideas?  Do the users have to be members of a special
> > group?
>
> I run compiz by hand, I don't need it on all the time. I will
> investigate these and get back to you.

I found what the problem was under KDE, in your tutorial you tell us to run
these commands as a regular user:

compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp
emerald --replace

I found that both of these commands need a & sign at the end of each of these
commands, which will look like this:

compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace &

once you run them like this, KDE will stop acting weird and starts functioning
correctly.  Now when you restart kde it no longer starts compiz automatically
and you will get all the window borders and you are able to save the settings
using ccsm.

Which is not the case when running gnome.  Once you run these commands, compiz
will work normally just like in KDE but it won't let you save any settings,
another words if you run ccsm it won't let you select or unselect any
plugins.  Compiz command might be a little different for gnome.
Gnome will also complain if you run these commands without
installing /usr/ports/x11-themes/ubuntulooks first, once you install this it
will stop complainning.  I will try to find out why I can't use ccsm and if I
find out I will let you know.