Date:      Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:02:17 +0000
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        andreas.nemeth@aporem.net, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading 5.4 -> 6.0 without reinstalling. safe ?

> You don't have to remove the ports prior to upgrading. Just recompile them
> later.

Why would I want to do that though ? It gives me no advantages, and some
serious disadvantages (especially if I am doing this on a 'live' system).
Much easier to delete everything prior to the upgrade, and then I know that
the machine is just the base system, and that none of my users are running
apache, or pine, or exim or whatever - because I deleted them :-).  Standard
practice for me, even when going from one minor release to the next...

-pcf.