Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2001 06:28:39 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Remote Installations using CDROM

	What might be the best way to initiate the FreeBSD
installation process using a serial port?

	As a computer user who happens to be blind, I have two
choices when installing FreeBSD or any other form of UNIX on a
new system.  I can either grab somebody and talk them through the
steps and have them tell me what the console says or I can come
up with a strategy to get a serial port working as soon as
possible so I can then do it myself like anybody else.

	The second course of action is really best because we are
all busy doing something and tagging someone to watch means they
aren't doing their normal job for that time.

	Besides, if a server should fail on a weekend or at some
odd time of night, one ends up being a one-man band.

	I am going to be installing FreeBSD on 4 IBM Netfinity
servers over the next few weeks and would like to just plug in a
cable and do that task via a VT100 that has the speech
synthesizer in it.

	Actually, my remote terminal is a P.C. containing the
appropriate drivers and hardware to make it talk and also a copy
of Kermit to do the VT100 emulation.

	The question before the group is both a question and a
suggestion.  The Netfinity boxes have a bootable CDROM and no
floppy drive so a virgin system has no way to get started other
than the CDROM.  Sun work stations used to go serial the instant
you turned on the power to the system with the keyboard/mouse
module disconnected.  It would be good if it was possible to have
the P.C. look for some trick key sequence in the very first phase
of the boot from CDROM which, if encountered, would activate the
first serial port at, say, 9600 N, 8 and 1.

	The other possible solution would be to burn a CDROM that
gets just enough of a kernel going to enable a serial tty so that
one can then remove that CD and put in the standard FreeBSD
installation disk in order to start the scripts.

	If that technique was done, it might even be possible to
make the starter disk configure tcp/ip and come up on dhcp and
register itself so that one could find it with an already-working
UNIX system and telnet or ssh in to it for the rest of the
installation.

	What are your thoughts?

	By the way, I hope there is always going to be a non-GUI
route to installation.  The present methods need only to be
redirected at the earliest possible stage to be fully accessible.
Any UNIX that ever goes totally GUI will have greatly compounded
system maintenance problems for anybody who needs a special
setup.

	As one tiny bit of background, there is a special VGA
replacement adapter produced by ConnectCanada called the
Realweasel that sends VGA text data to a serial port on the card, but
the Netfinities use a large console port that combines
connections for keyboard, mouse and video so I don't think one
can just pull the VGA card for a few minutes and stick in the
Realweasel.  That particular card, when it works, can sure get
you through an installation on a normal mother board using a
standard CDROM, but that isn't going to work this time.
	This problem I describe is certainly not unique to
FreeBSD.  It is actually tied to the fact that 9x% of all P.C.
mother boards made have no alternative at boot time to output
than bringing up whatever video card is designated in the CMOS as
being the display.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group