Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 05:41:17 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vtable thunks with egcs

> I'm assuming that the default for egcs uses vtable thunks instead of
> offsets in the vtable to handle multiple inheritance.

At the moment, yes.

> It occurred to me that since this changes the C++ calling convention,
> we have to bump the major version number of all c++ libraries,
> particularly the ones in ports.

Not only that, but the differences in exceptions, rtti, etc... it is well
known that you can't even use C++ libs compiled with g++ 2.8.{0,1} with
EGCS.

Guess Steve is in for some fun when he sees just how broken Ports are
with EGCS.  ;-)

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)

P.S. There is a problem with bootstraping right now that causes something
not to be compiled by EGCS that needs to be.  I'm working on this right
now...  so we might not want to change any ports just yet.