Date:      Sun, 04 Jul 1999 14:22:18 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" <art@hawaii.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Caching only DNS server

Karl Pielorz wrote:

> "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" wrote:
> >
> > Is there a good doc somewhere which describes how to set up
> > a caching only DNS server?  I'm running FreeBSD 3.2-R and
> > it uses the BIND idistribution for the DNS server.
> >
> > I think in the old named I could just code
> >
> > primary 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa    db.127.0.0
> > cache   .                               db.cache
>
> Have a look at http://www.isc.org/view.cgi?/products/BIND/
>
> You'll need something similar to:
>
>         forwarders { 1.2.3.4; };
>         forward-only;
>
> In your 'options {}' section (where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of your upstream
> nameserver).

	That would only be true if he wanted to set his named up as a forwarder.
What most people mean by "caching only" is that the local named does the
resolution and caches the responses, but it's not authoritative for any
zones.

	On freebsd systems all you have to do is run the makerev script in
/etc/namedb and then fire up named. I usually symlink
/etc/namedb/named.conf to /etc/named.conf because I'm kind of a purist
about such things, but that's not mandatory if you use '/usr/sbin/named -c
/etc/namedb/named.conf' to start it.

Good luck,

Doug