Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 08:37:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is this (SCSI) tape drive compatible with FreeBSD?

(moved to -chat)

On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 02:57:59PM +0100, Richard Tobin wrote:
> I have an HP T4000s and I can't unreservedly recommend it.  Mine
> stopped working (continual shoe-shining after restoring a few hundred
> MB) and the HP technical support response was "we don't support it
> under unix".  When I explained that it was clearly a hardware problem,
> they said it must be that my "unix files" were "corrupt".  Eventually
> I talked to a supervisor who agreed to accept the drive for testing,
> and last week they phoned to say that yes it is faulty and they will
> send me a replacement.

Sounds like HP.  I recently moved from Germany to Australia, and
carried my machine in carry-on luggage, including an HP C1533A DDS-2
drive, which arrived slightly the worse for wear.  After some
attempts, I discovered that HP Australia refuses to have anything to
do with it, since it was bought as an OEM device in Germany.

Greg