Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 17:19:57 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Chris Pepper <pepper@mail.reppep.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw.8

Hi Chris,

It looks like all the errors you're seeing are either already fixed
in FreeBSD, or exist only in OS X:

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 08:02:02PM -0400, Chris Pepper wrote:

> >      Note that may be dangerous to filter on the source IP address or source
> >      TCP/UDP port because either or both could easily be spoofed.

#     Note that it may be dangerous to filter on the source IP address or
#     source TCP/UDP port because either or both could easily be spoofed.

> >AUTHORS
> >      Ugen J. S. Antsilevich,
> >      Poul-Henning Kamp,
> >      Alex Nash,
> >      Archie Cobbs. API based upon code written by
> >      Daniel Boulet for BSDI.
> 	I don't understand this. Should "API based upon code written
> by Daniel Boulet for BSDI." all be one (separate) line? It's
> confusing as written.

# AUTHORS
#      Ugen J. S. Antsilevich,
#      Poul-Henning Kamp,
#      Alex Nash,
#      Archie Cobbs,
#      Luigi Rizzo.
#
#      API based upon code written by Daniel Boulet for BSDI.
#
#      Work on dummynet(4) traffic shaper supported by Akamba Corp.

> >HISTORY
> >      ipfw first appeared in

# HISTORY
#      The ipfw utility first appeared in FreeBSD 2.0.  dummynet(4) was intro-
#      duced in FreeBSD 2.2.8.  Stateful extensions were introduced in
#      FreeBSD 4.0.

> 	On a separate point, "ipfw show" as a regular user gets the
> response "ipfw: socket: Operation not permitted". With sudo, it
> works. If the ipfw command can only be used by root, this should
> probably appear in the man page, and generate a clear error when run
> as und<>0.

This is a good point; anyone know if there are any circumstances where
ipfw is useful to non-superusers?

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Science rules.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *