Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:00:19 -0500
From:      Ash Gokhale <ash.gokhale@noaa.gov>
To:        Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh@sdf.lonestar.org>
Cc:        Eric@savaka.com
Subject:   FreeBSD-newbies is a community.

	Asbestos underwear aside, FreeBSD is a community that is expanding at
all the tiers, from n00b ,operator,admin,  developer and finally to "I
write interrupt level microcode for God's machine herself, how dare you
ask that question on this list, this is clearly a ports problem,
uggh!".  The best part of the list it is that it belongs to the people
who use it moderately and politely.

	Appropriating the newbie list for a wider range of questions gives
people a chance to play with ideas they would not ordinarily be exposed
to. People who come to FreeBSD from another unix should appreciate this
variety. Real brand new unix/BSD mephits will appreciate good humor and
courtesy.

	I would hate to bug -hackers, or -questions with an OpenSSL upgrade
question. And if you have ever read lists from that other "Highly
Secure" free BSD that starts with an "O" which originates the said
library; You might envision a truly frightened new user. This a great
question for this list, we are all newbies. ( excluding people who are
busy writing the Kernel )

	That said, our successful community will not scold people who don't
know where to get the information they seek. We will instead try to
help, and buy suggesting different approaches, give everyone learns
something different.

btw: I would not build _my_ crypto framework from ports. *wink

from walden two,
Ash.Gokhale@noaa.gov
System Administration Lead,
NOAA/MDL