Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 02:08:38 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perhaps i am just stupid.

James Raynard wrote:

> > > So, Why waste time doing both.. a Dos based cksum compatiable with
> > > FreeBSD's cksum's output as well as a kludge'y batch file!
> > > It would be just as easy to whip up a dos based program that
> > > read the *.sum files and compared them to the files on the fly!
> >
> > I would advocate *against* modifying the code for this.  Put that
> > functionality into a .BAT file wrapper.  This allows someone
> > already knowledgable in cksum(1) to modify the BAT file without
> > having to learn some bogus *new* MyCksum program.
>
> I don't like the batch file idea at all.  And assuming that users
> will FTP down the files in alphabetical order (which I think you
> mentioned in another post) is just asking for trouble.

One should bet they wouldn't.

> > Also cuts down
> > on the maintenance of yet another piece of software
>
> But we've already introduced more maintenance work - someone has
> to generate these checksums every time a new release comes out.

Actually that could be *partially* automated!

> This program shouldn't need much maintenance - all it will need for
> each release is a config file that tells it what distributions are
> available and which files are in each one (in fact, I believe that's
> what the *.inf files in 2.1.5 do).

Hmm, I'll have to grab a .inf and see what good it is.

> > (and, is more
> > in tune with the UNIX philosophy of building with existing tools).
>
> If we were talking about a Unix environment you would have my 101%
> agreement.  Unfortunately, DOS was designed on the philosophy that
> a program has to do everything itself; the "shell" is practically
> useless for anything more than launching applications.  As for the
> OS, well, why do so many DOS programmers talk directly to the
> hardware?

Gee, I wonder.. (Comming from a dos programmer)

> > It hardly seems worth any "performance increase" to replace DOS's
> > batch file interpretter with hardcoded system("cksum.exe")
>
> You don't have to call system() - just hack cksum's command-line
> handling so it reads the names from a file instead and sorts them into
> alphabetic order.  Put #ifdef MSDOS/#endif around this if it makes you
> happier :-)
>
> (BTW what's the max length of a DOS command line?  The bin.* files
> in 2.1.0 are 6 chars long, and there's 82 of them, plus a space
> between each one - that's getting on for 600 chars by my reckoning).

Dos's max commandline is 127 chars. PERIOD!

> Once you've done that, then adding a couple of lines to read in
> a number from a file and compare it to the number you first thought
> of is trivial.
>
> I do understand why you want to do this in as Unix-like a way as
> possible, but I don't think it's workable.  Sorry.

Agreed!
Anyways the way I look at it Unix Guru's are not going to use it!
I don't imagine I would, Maybe though.
The purpose I see it for is new commers! And more then likly
they are comming from Dos.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848