Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:07:13 +1000
From:      Dale Walker <dale@icr.com.au>
To:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Uninstalling ports COMPLETELY

Dennis Jun wrote:

> Thank you for such a quick reply. It was very helpful and answered my
> question.
>
> I also wanted to double check with you,
> when I do install a port, does it usually make any modifications to scripts
> files or does it only download, compile, and copy binaries?

It doesn't normally 'edit' but it may add rc files (see below...)

> I'm sorry if
> I'm asking the same question again but I recently installed ssh2 and in the
> book "The Complete FreeBSD", Greg Lehey says to add the command
> "/usr/local/sbin/sshd" to my /etc/rc.local file. Which would be fine but I
> don't have an rc.local. But for some reason at the time, I rebooted the box
> not creating that file, but the ssh daemon started. I'm wondering if during
> the install if the port edited some other script file I don't know bout
> (because I don't see it in /etc/defaults/rc.conf) or it was already enabled
> in some other script file.

Any executable script under /usr/local/etc/rc.d will run at startup as
well... You will find a sshd.sh file in this directory...

Take the time to read the /etc/rc.* files, you may find the answer to
many 'how does it start....." type of questions...

> On a sort of related note, how do i restart the /etc/rc.conf file? or any of

the rc.conf file itself is not 'startable' but it is read by various
other /etc/rc.* files..

If for example you have changes your firewall settings in rc.conf, you
could check this out by running 'sh /etc/rc.firewall' which will read
the parameters from /etc/rc.conf.

> the rc files? Because, I remember editing that file and I wanted to see if it
> would work ok but I had to reboot everytime I did it because I didn't know
> any better (like in Windoze).

Have a read of the /etc/rc.* files (don't worry about trying to
understand _all_ the concepts), but they are pretty readable, and may
help.

> Much thanx in advance.

Much angst in a trance... ;-)

--