Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:19:10 +0000
From:      beni <beni@brinckman.info>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT:: anybody on-list use "PC-BSD"? or "bSD-PC"?

On Friday 10 August 2007 01:16:48 Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Guys,
>
> 	A couple years ago I got a hold of Ubuntu and until recent months
> 	thought it was the best thing since [[ fill-in ]].
> 	Long-story-shot, I am wedged at 6.06 (a Long Term Support)
> 	version, and because the *next* "LTS" isn't due until 2009
> 	and *mostly* because the Linux filesystem __ate__ several
> 	files (at least one binary; plus several gifs/jpgs/whatever),
> 	I'm thinking of switching back.  Our 6.2-RELEASE really is the
> 	best release I've seen, so I may just buy 6.3 or 7.1 or
> 	whatever.  The other option is to buy or download the pee-cee
> 	version (1.4 or later) of BSD.  I want something with audio and
> 	video apps that JustWork{tm}; something that's mostly for fun.
> 	....Altho, as noted above, my installation of 6.2 comes pretty
> 	close.  Has anybody on this list used the PC version of BSD?
> 	What about a "desktop-BSD"??
>
> 	suggestion? advice?
>

> 	gary

If you want to stick with ubuntu, try Ubuntu Studio
(http://www.ubuntustudio.org) or have a look at the article about it at
http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntustudio7.04.

I'm using DesktopBSD (http://www.desktopbsd.net/) for the moment (due to
serious Xorg upgrade problems...). Theire lastest version 1.6RC3 comes with
Xorg 7.2 pre-installed, so thats already a headache less ;-) As for the rest,
it is a 6.2-Stable.

They have a great Package Manager who takes care of all dependencies and other
stuff. Which means that you can use the ports (or packages) as usualy.

I like it so far :-)
--
Beni.