Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:37:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Langa Kentane <evablunted@earthling.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache server problems with file ownership: reinstall??

I'm reposting to the list so people who wonder can understand this:

A webserver traditionally runs as the user 'nobody', this means
that for the webserver to be able to access any directories all
the directories above it need to at least be executable or readable
by everyone.

That means that if your webserver wants to use /usr/local/www/*

you should make sure that /usr ,/usr/local and /usr/local/www
all have the execute bits set:

chmod o+x /usr /usr/local /usr/local/www

any files that the webserver will want to be able to open (to serve them
to clients) need to be readable by 'others' as well:

chmod o+r file1 files2 etc...

any directory that the webserver will want to give a directory listing
of needs to also have the 'read' bit set as well as the 'execute':

chmod o+rw directory...

hope this helps,
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]