Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:29:20 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Benzi Mizrahi <vsbenzi@weizmann.ac.il>
Cc:        "Rev. Joe Doyle Ardent" <ardent@nebcorp.com>
Subject:   Re: JDK on freebsd?

--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:23:46AM +0300, Benzi Mizrahi wrote:
> =E1=E9=E5=ED =F8=E1=E9=F2=E9, 25 =E1=E9=E5=F0=E9 2003, 01:27, Gary Kline =
=EB=FA=E1:

K if

> > > You need a linux JDK to do the first time installation of the native
> > > JDK -- both for jdk13 and jdk14.  Once you've got a native jdk
> > > compiled and installed, you can pkg_delete the linux jdk, and use the
> > > native jdk to compile updated versions of itself (via the
> > > NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP=3Dyes make flag).  One of the really annoying things
> > > about java is that you can't compile and install JDK 1.4.1 using any
> > > flavour of JDK 1.3.1, so if you want both JDK versions, you've got to
> > > go through the whole install process from scratch each time.
> > >
> > > You need linux-compat as one of the linux JDK's dependencies.  Once
> > > you have dispensed with the linux JDK you could probably dispense with
> > > the whole linux compat stuff as well.  The native JDK works just fine
> > > without.
> > >
> > > On the other hand, if you've got a whole row of machines to install
> > > jdk's on, so long as you aren't in any sense publishing an
> > > unauthorized-by-Sun JDK, there's nothing to stop you going through the
> > > download, install linux jdk, download, compile, install native jdk
> > > rigmarole on just one of the machines, and then build your own package
> > > of the native jdk to install on the other boxes.
> >
> > 	It's likely just me.  But on one of three BSD servers I have
> > 	java (linux) working happily with mozilla.  The other two may
> > 	have upgrade/dependency probledms... or else gremlins
> > 	that say "Huh?" regarding jdk-131.
> >
> > 	There are probably dozens of us, if not billions, who would
> > 	profit from a step-by-step tutorial style write up on this.
> >
> > 	Dunno about anyone else, but at least I would love to shuck
> > 	the linux stuff and go native FreeBSD.  Anybody willing?
> >
>=20
> same here...

Hmmm... I keep thinking that I should write up some of the stuff I put
out on this list more formally and stick it on a web site somewhere.
Wotthehell, I'm willing to give this a go this weekend.

But first, what exactly is missing from the referenced article?

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/index.h=
tml

This seems pretty comprehensive to me, although it could do with a few
small updates to cover the latest versions of java and tomcat.

Any other topics? Getting the java plugin to work with Mozilla should
be mentioned, but that's one of those things where it should "just
work" by installing the jdk13 port, so it's hard to know what else to
say on the subject.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20