Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:38:35 -0600
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Is FreeBSD 9 Production Ready?

I am currently running FBSD 8.3-STABLE on a production server that
provides http, dns, smtp, and so on for a small domain.  This is not
a high arrival rate environment but it does need to be rock solid (which
FBSD 4-8 have been).

I am contemplating moving to the FBSD 9 family.  Is this branch ready
for production or should I wait a while yet?  I ordinarily avoid x.0
releases of anything and I know 9.1 is soon going to be with us.

In a related note, if I do move to 9.x is it sufficient to grab the
appropriate source tree and compile world and kernels, install and
reboot?  That is, it is reasonable to do an in-place upgrade.  This
is how I migrated 4->6, 6->7, and 7->8 and I am hoping this is till
the case since a complete reinstall is painful and slow.

TIA,
Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com