Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:13:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Brian John" <brianjohn@fusemail.com>
To:        "David Kelly" <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: bad CRC in rar file

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:24:57PM -0600, Brian John wrote:
> > Hello, I have a collection of rar files that all hold together one .iso
> > file.  One of the rar files has a bad CRC so rar fails to extract the ISO
> > image.  Does anyone know if there is a different application that can
> > extract this image even though there are crc errors?  I looked at the rar
> > manpage and it didn't seem like rar could do it.
>
> The unrar utility in ports says the "kb" command line switch will "keep
> broken". Remember mounting a bad ISO image may crash your computer.
>
> Generally one uses par files to validate and repair rar files before
> reassembling the original image. To generate par files for this purpose
> one has to start with a good set of rar files.

par files?  I've never heard of those.  What is the purpose of par files
if you already have a good set of rar files?  Is the idea that the same
person that distributes the original rar files will also distribute par
files with them?  Is there anything that can 'patch' a bad ISO fail so
that it is at least mountable?

Thanks for the help

/Brian