Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 06:28:55 +0000
From:      curtis <ufkartfm@pacific.net>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        "freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: installing boot?

Hi Wilko,

>> > What I need to figure out now is why it did not find the harddisks
>> > (at least that is what
>> > sysinstall tells me, and it is bogus).
>>
>> What disks, what controller?

> AXPpci33 builtin NCR810, see dmesg.boot excerpt below

I think the problem is in this area:

> dering UFS root f/s.
> da1: invalid primary partition table: no magic
> da1: raw partition size != slice size
> da1: start 0, end 4110479, size 4110480
> da1c: start 0, end 4092479, size 4092480

because, the system does see the following:

> da0: <DEC RZ28     (C) DEC T436> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
> da1: <DEC RZ28B    (C) DEC 0006> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
> cd0: <DEC RRD45   (C) DEC 1645> Removable CD-ROM SCSI2 device

? - During your install, and when you were setting up the disks, did you
set the "Disk Geomerty" for each drive?

In looking at your previous posts, I noticed you were doing:

> axp33# disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 da1c
> axp33# disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 /dev/rda1c

and some other 'stuff' ....and stated:

> For the rest everything works just fine using the NetBSD boot-bits.

? - When you attempted your new install, did you clean all of the NetBSD
'stuff' off your disks?

? - What does your fstab say in /etc?

I get the impression you are trying to disklabel the 2nd scsi disk and
it has no partition table.

? - Have you tried:  disklabel -B -b /usr/mdec/boot1 /dev/da0c  on your
1st scsi disk?

> cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY,  [snip]

(smile) As you probably know, the above line is saying there is no disk
in the cdrom.

hope some of this helps, if not, email me,
--
curtis - ufkartfm@pacific.net - site administrator for Nobody
      I want Nobody to control my life!  How about you?