Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 11:26:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        ferovick@runner.jpl.utsa.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LED command timeout errors

>From the keyboard of David C Ferovick:

> When I am using my lexmark keyboard (standard ps/2 style keyboard and an
> adapter to convert the jack to a normal-din connector instead of the
> smaller one) I am unable to see the LEDs for capslock numlock and scrollock..
> If I use any of these keys during the session, I will eventually get
> LED command timeout errors from the PCVT driver

I'd love to get such a keyboard on my desk to eventually being able to
reproduce the problem you describe.

It seems there are some strange keyboards out there who have the problems
you describe.

There are several things you can do:

	- send the keyboard to me to have a look at what it does ;-)

	- start debugging the pcvt keyboard code and send diffs

	- compile your kernel with PCVT_NO_LED_UPDATE, this will stop
		touching the keyboard leds (this is for those weird
		keyboards like yours)

	- have a look in the code where option PCVT_PORTIO_DELAY is used
		and defined, switch to using the DELAY() method and
		increase the delay time

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe