Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 2014 16:35:16 -0500
From:      "Gene" <fbsd@brightstar.bomgardner.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   need advice re: cowardly freebsd-update

I'm running ver 8.1, amd64. In attempting to update to 10.0, I originally
used "freebsd-update -r 10.0-RELEASE fetch" before I was advised I need to
make a stop by 9.x first. Now when attempting to upgrade to 9.1, freebsd-
update bombs out as below. I'm not sure where to look for the solution to
this one.

Anyone have an idea where to start?

Thanks for your time.

Gene

output follows:

brightstar# freebsd-update -r 9.1-RELEASE upgrade
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 8.1-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

WARNING: This system is running a "brightstar" kernel, which is not a
kernel configuration distributed as part of FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE.
This kernel will not be updated: you MUST update the kernel manually
before running "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install".

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic src/base src/bin src/cddl src/contrib src/crypto src/etc
src/games src/gnu src/include src/krb5 src/lib src/libexec src/release
src/rescue src/sbin src/secure src/share src/sys src/tools src/ubin
src/usbin world/base world/catpages world/dict world/doc world/games
world/info world/lib32 world/manpages world/proflibs

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 1 metadata files... done.

The update metadata is correctly signed, but
failed an integrity check.
Cowardly refusing to proceed any further.
brightstar#