Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:42:27 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install to second hard-drive...

At 12:43 PM 2/22/97 +0100, J Wunsch wrote:
>As Mark Mayo wrote:
>
>> There's no tips in the FAQ or handbook for installing on a drive other
>> than the 1st BIOS disk... just curious how I should place the boot manager
>> in the first drive so I can boot to freeBSD (without nuking win95).
>
>You need to install the boot manager on the first drive (required),
>and maybe on the FreeBSD drive, too (optional, you can get away with a
>standard bootstrap there, or even with `dangerously dedicated' mode,
>but you won't get a menu then allowing you to toggle back and forth
>through the drives).
>
>I don't know whether booteasy can handle more than one drive.  I
>remember somebody saying that os-bs is better in this respect.

BootEasy handles it beautifully - the least work setting it up I've ever
seen.  Doesn't look as nice as some others, but work nicely.

>> Also, is there a way to use the boot floppy to boot from any drive? On my
>> system, I was able to boot from the floppy, and type:
>> 1:sd(0,a)kernel
>>
>> and it booted fine.. just doesn't seem to work with his wd drive though. I
>
>1:wd(2,a)kernel
>
>It's the second BIOS drive (#1 aka D:), but FreeBSD takes it as wd2
>since it doesn't auto-assign the unit numbers in the wd driver, but
>rather hard-codes them into the possible device slots.

... which forced me to change the kernel (add a -1 somewhere) to be able to
get the correct root device - is there something obvious I was missing?
Changing root in the config didn't work.  (I haven't looked at the problem
for half a year+ - the system works, so no sweat)

Eivind Eklund perhaps@yes.no http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/ eivind@freebsd.org