Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 20:19:02 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Simon Lindgren <lindgren@istudio.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wide negotiation refused

Simon Lindgren writes:

> On boot-up I receive this message (a warning?) :
> ----------------
> ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 10 on pci0:12
> ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
> ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
> ahc0:A:6: refuses WIDE negotiation.  Using 8bit transfers
> (ahc0:6:0): "QUANTUM FIREBALL ST4.3S 0F0C" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> sd0(ahc0:6:0): Direct-Access 4136MB (8471232 512 byte sectors)
> ---------------
>
> it's the "refusing WIDE negotiation"-bit I'm concerned with. Can I make it
> stop refusing somehow? Or should it indeed be refusing?
>
> it looks like it's the drive itself that complains (ID:6) - do I need a
> new one to make it work?

Maybe you do need a new one to make wide work. Presumably its supposed to
be a wide SCSI HD?  :-)

Noticed on my new IBM DCHS-39100 that some variations have a jumper that
forces *narrow* SCSI. Namely the differential and SCA versions. Maybe your
Quantum also has a narrow jumper?

There might be a SCSI mode page parameter for selecting narrow/wide. I
didn't see in my IBM data. Did find Write Cache Enable wasn't.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net