Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 14:44:39 -0700
From:      Brandon Huey <brandon@virage.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cpu considerations for packet filtering

yes, i need to get a clue about hardware. i guess i've been misled in a
way by the PII's... thinking L2 cache is something integrated on-chip.
i generally see systems marketed with L2 cache and cpu vaguely suggested
as one feature, ie: "Pentium II/266 w/512KB L2 cache"

but if it were just a matter of getting the right mobo, what explains
the introduction of the celeron and the two version of the pentium pro
with varrying cache sizes?

let me ask a more broad question to stay on track:  for packet filtering
and heavy network usage, how important is cpu and should i give up
on-chip cache to keep the cost of this unit down?

thanks,

 -bh