Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:38:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        "2005 - Chill, Samuel Thomas" <stchill@mccallie.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Puzzling Simple NATD and IPFW Problem

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, 2005 - Chill, Samuel Thomas wrote:

> I have ipfirewall, ipdivert, and dummynet all compiled into my kernel. I
> am able to run run natd and to specify rules with ipfw, i can also ping
> my external interface. My internal network card (rl1) is 10.0.0.1 and my
> lan clients are running on 10.0.0.x. I can ping everything, the network
> is setup properly. Im using the default rules supplied in the man page
> and apperently natd is not passing them on. I cant ping or go to any
> website at all. The lan clients have 10.0.0.1 set as there default
> gateway. rl0 is connected to the cable modem and gets it ip via dhcp.
> The freebsd box can ping any thing but apparently nothing is forwarded
> to the external interface. I have double checked and reinstalled
> multiple times and it seems that it is bound to never work!

	Do you have gateway_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf?

	What do the following show when you run them (just paste them in a
	reply):

	# ifconfig -a
	# netstat -rn
	# ipfw -a l
	# sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
	# ps -aux |grep nat
	# cat /etc/rc.conf

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
- WARNING TO ALL PERSONNEL:
   Firings will continue until morale improves.