Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:16:34 -0500
From:      Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
To:        Don Hinton <don.hinton@vanderbilt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best approach to clone a disk?

On Feb 14, 2006, at 12:04 PM, Don Hinton wrote:

> Hi Joe:
>
> On Tuesday 14 February 2006 10:49, Joe Auty wrote:
>> Okay,
>>
>> In taking the advice of an earlier poster in suggesting that the
>> instructions located here:
>>
>> http://www.unixcities.com/howto/
>>
>> Are rather old, allow me to make my question a little broader in
>> scope:
>>
>> What is the best way to clone a disk in FreeBSD? Do you have any
>> step-
>> by-step instructions? The instructions I used above (even replacing
>> the restore -r flag with a -x) produced a core dump.
>>
>> Can I use DD on two disks of different size? Do you recommend Ghost
>> for Unix? Any other suggestions or recommendations should the dump
>> command just not work for me?
>
> One of our grad students recently posted a how to on using Frisbee
> here at
> ISIS.  The only difference is that you'll need another server
> somewhere with
> imagezip install instead of ours.  You can find the how to here:
>
> https://research.isis.vanderbilt.edu/ir_wiki/
> Using_Frisbee_to_take_an_image_of_a_hard_drive
>
> Please let us know if it contains any omissions or errors and we'll
> fix the
> page.  Btw, I've been told that this will only image a partition,
> not the
> master boot record, so you'll need that on the destination as well.
>
> This is what emulab uses to image drives, and works for several OS's,
> including FreeBSD, Linux, and Windows.
>
> hth...
> don

Thanks Don!

However, I'm not completely sure that I have the disk space available
to create an image. I was actually looking to do a complete copy of
one local disk to another local disk, not create an image of the disk
for deployment. Do these instructions still apply?

Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org