Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:40:04 +0300
From:      Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer@gmail.com>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to get 2 if's act like a switch?

On 2/8/06, Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:
> Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> > Can I get 2 interfaces on a router switch ethernet frames
> > (between themselves and the box itself) and the other
> > interfaces act like normal ones? I need services like dhcpd
> > to not see any difference between the 2 switched if's, just
> > like it's a single ethernet segment.
>
> See: "man bridge".

Thanks. First I thought that bridge is not what I want.
Apparently, if_bridge does not switch packets, and
with 100 hosts on each if that would create unnecessary
overhead. But then, networks on both sides are switches,
so the overhead should be minimal if not none.

I still wonder if there's some way to get switch
functionality.