Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 22:28:07 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        mcgovern@spoon.beta.com (Brian J. McGovern)
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers 101

As Michael Smith wrote:

> Devfs doesn't really 'do' major and minor numbers; there's a logically
> direct translation from the named node to your switch entry and the
> unit number you supply when you create the node.

Though, it's a very good idea to leave the major number assignment to
devfs.  The existing drivers don't do this yet, but i think once devfs
is really up for the masses, we should walk through the tree and avoid
hard allocations wherever possible.  (I.e., almost everything except
those devices the bootstrap code has builtin knowlege about.)

I think you can achieve automatic major number assignment by passing
-1 down to devfs.  Julian might comment on this.

--
cheers, J"org