Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 2010 23:38:17 +0800
From:      Jian Jun Wang <wangjianjun@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gdm background picture missing

hi all,

I am not familiar with Freebsd, I installed 8.0-release, it had been working
well.  I read one post that USB webcam could be used in Freebsd 8.0
so I tried to install multimedia/webcamd, multimedia/cuse4bsd-kmod from the
port. It also upgraded jpeg from 7.0 to 8.0 and a lot of dependency ports.
when I rebooted my pc, gdm background picture was missing, the background
was in GREEN, and gimageview could not show pictures. I deinstalled jpeg8
and reinstalled jpeg7, then the gdm background picture/gimageview were good.

then I tried to install multimedia/pwcview , it compiled from ports, but
failed when tried to install gtk2.20 (I remember), it has upgraded some
lib/ports which I had no idea of. I can not tell which ports have been
upgraded while I tried to install pwcview.

then reboot machine, gdm background picture was missing, all background was
in GREEN. when I log in, gimageview works well, and other softwares such as
firefox/putty, all were good except rox-filer, (I was using fvwm-crystal)
when I opened rox-filer, all files/directories were displayed as red
exclamation mark, all files/directories. when I click on it, it still
worked, if I clicked on avi files, it will be open in gmplayer, that was
good.

1. files/directories in rox-filer are all red exclamation mark.
2. gdm login background picture missing, all in green (the orginal picture
was a green leaf)
3. in gdm login window, it also shows red-cross mark where it should be a
host picture.

So I think it might be that I upgraded some dependency ports/libraries or
whatever by accident, but I can not tell which one. Any suggestion on steps
to solve the problem?

Thank you very much.

Jerry.

--