Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 97 17:48:59 -0800
From:      James Ray <jray@dusya.osd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jray@seanet.com
Subject:   need help recovering from bad 2.2.5 install

I tried to install 2.2.5 on a drive that had an existing 2.1.7 installation
on another partition. I now understand that this is not a good thing to
do. Please assist me in getting my 2.1.7 system working again.

Here's my partition scheme:

295megs DOS
305megs (was linux, tried installing 2.2.5 here via modem)
1.1gig  FreeBSD 2.1.7

(The drive is a 1.7gig, the SCSI adapter is an Adaptec 1542)

I tried installing 2.2.5 on the 305meg partition. I did the minimal install,
and added the Boot Manager. During the install, everything appeared to be
going in the right place (the 305 meg partition).

When I was done, the Boot Manager gave me three choices, DOS, BSD, and BSD.
However, both BSD choices booted as 2.2.5, so I gave up, and used
DOS's fdisk /mbr to nuke the boot manager, and made the 1.1gig partition
active. While I was at it, I used DOS's fdisk to delete the 305meg
partition and formatted it as FAT, for dos backup reasons that we won't get
into here.

The 1.1 gig partition then booted as 2.2.5 in single-user mode,
and gave me these messages:

/dev/rsd0s3f: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
/dev/rsd0s3e: /dev/rsd0s3e: BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

/dev/rsd0s3e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEMS HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY
        /dev/rsd0s3f (/usr), /dev/rsd0s3e (/var)
Automatic file system check failed ... help!
#

So I ran fsck:
# fsck
** /dev/rsd0a
** Last mounted on /
** Root file system
** Phase 1  <SNIP> blah blah until Phase 5

865 files, 13417 used, 383478 free (238 frags, 47905 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation)** /dev/rsd0s3f
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
pid 15 (fsck), uid 0: exited on signal 8
Floating point exception
#

I would like to recover my 1.1 gig partition and make it bootable as a 2.1.7
system again. What can I do ? I must admit that I have no backups from which
to restore -- now a tape drive is first on the list ...

Thanks,
James Ray.