Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 1995 08:45:15 +0000 ()
From:      Richard J Uren <richard@thehub.com.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting an ISP!

On Sat, 14 Oct 1995, Johanan L. Codona wrote:

> However, before we proceed, I have a number of questions that this
> group might help answer.
>
> Questions:
>
> * Is FreeBSD a good choice for our OS? (As opposed to BSDI, our second
>   choice.)

Our neck of the woods is FreeBSD vs Linux, however FreeBSD vs BSDI ?
Ive never used BSDI.

> * What version of FreeBSD should we use?  (We are looking to go
>   "on-the-air" in about 4-6 weeks.)

We've had no probs with the cdrom, everything you need is on it
pretty much.

> * We are thinking about a fast Pentium with SCSI disks for storage.
>   What are the best choices for:
> 	- multi-serial cards
> 	- memory per user
> 	- networking cards
> 	- other hardware?

We use xylogics' annexes to handle user logins. They do the accouting
handle slip, ppp (mostly),terminal sessions, telnet etc.. .

richard

richard@thehub.com.au