Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 16:13:12 -0500
From:      Mike Uttech <mike@negativezero.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 remote reboot exploit (fwd)

	We used to have problems with one of our 3.1-RELEASE boxes randomly
locking up with no logs of why.  We decided to split the load off of the
one machine and have not had a problem with it locking up since.  If my
memory serves me today, I remember reading about a problem in the
3.1-RELEASE distribution that under heavy load caused the system to hang or
reboot.  I personally feel that many of these people (the ones who are
saying they have been having random reboots) are not being attacked in
anyway but rather are having their machines overloaded and rebooting.

Mike