Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 21:38:34 -0800
From:      "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Arcady Genkin" <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
Subject:   Re: Before I return FreeBSD to the store...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arcady Genkin" <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 1999 9:28 PM

> Soulofwolf899@cs.com writes:
>
> > I am happy to give FreeBSD a chance to prove itself to me but I
cannot unless
> > I can install it!  If you have not fixed it in this version then
please keep
> > my e-mail on file so you can notify me when you have.
>
> This is quite amusing. May we also pay you for using FreeBSD? ;^)
>
> > ps - after spending an hour of my time moving the blasted pin on
my CD-ROM to
> > every possible combination, without of course the manual, in order
to make a
> > "slave", I gave up and I have no desire to do it again.  Make sure
to let me
> > know when FreeBSD is as easy to install as ANY of my LINUX
packages;
> > including RedHat 6.1 and TurboLinux 4.
>
> What does the CD-ROM's jumper have to do with installing an OS? If
it
> worked with other OS's, then it should be deemed workable, and let
the
> jumper alone.

It has a lot to do with it. Some drives aren't detected when they are
the only device and jumpered as a slave on the secondary IDE channel.
A couple don't want to be the master on the secondary IDE channel but
work just fine as a slave behind the HD on the primary IDE channel. My
Teac is the master on the secondary IDE channel. The slave on the
secondary channel is a WD 3.1GB HD.

I looked at all of the IDE CDROM's that I have and the have either 3
or 5 jumper locations. The right three have text above them saying
something like (cs or csel), (ma or master), and (sl or slave).

Kent