Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 1995 13:53:02 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jfieber@indiana.edu, lyndon@orthanc.com, grog@lemis.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is the documentation for ibcs2?

> I also happen to know that Lotus 1-2-3's SVR3 port uses the return of
> the uname as "copy protection" during the install when putting together
> a binary file that the installed program then references when the
> application is run.

I know.  I know the programmer who was responsible for that hack
personally, in fact. :-)

Fortunately, nobody in their right mind would run the old UN*X version
of 1-2-3 so it's kinda moot.

I still think that it's possible to derive benefit from the sea of SCO
apps out there, even without a working install.  Yes, it's harder, but
it may also prove in many instances to make the difference between
letting a developer keep FreeBSD on his work PC or having his boss
demand he load SCO so that he can run some commercial app of import to
the company.

[insert picture of a sad eyed programmer sitting at a PC running SCO,
 looking dolefully at the camera]

"For little Timmy's sake - isn't it worth it?"

					Jordan