Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 18:09:36 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>, t6nu <chain@daemon.bsd.ee>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Choppy picture with Sawfish+GNOME and fxtv

John Utz:
 |> Awesome it worked. Any idea why this works? :)
 |>
 |> Also, is it supposed to chew up 90%+ of the CPU?
 |
 |yup! this code is a permanent while loop. it has no function calls in it,
 |so the OS is never free to choose to defer running the function so that
 |it can run something else. (more or less! this is an overly simple
 |explanation of multitasking :-) )
 |
 |why hogging up the computer could possibly fix fxtv on sawfish is utterly
 |incomprehensible.

Makes no sense to me yet either.  Sawfish users (and others with this
problem) should verify that:

     fxtv -debug events

stabilizes and stops printing events _very_ quickly.

If not, it could be that fxtv and the window manager are fighting each
other, and capture is being constantly stopped and restarted.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com