Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:43:47 -0500
From:      Zak Johnson <zakj-freebsd-questions@nox.cx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenSSH and password expiry

[Please CC me on replies, as I am not subscribed to this list.]

I want to force new users to change their passwords immediately upon
first login.  I set the "change" field in master.passwd to 1 (via pw
useradd ... -p 1).  Logging in via login(1) works as expected---the user
is prompted to change the password and then logs in as usual.  However,
my users only connect via ssh, which instead yields the following logs:

  PAM rejected by account configuration[12]: Authentication token is no longer valid; new one required.
  Failed password for testuser from 127.0.0.1 port 3367 ssh2

The user sees:

  $ ssh testuser@localhost
  testuser@localhost's password:
  Connection to localhost closed by remote host.
  Connection to localhost closed.

What have I done wrong?

-Zak