Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:16:00 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        Justin Murdock <justin@csad.coventry.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2 to be given to attendees of USENIX Technical Conference

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 at 11:49:00 +0100, Justin Murdock wrote:
> > Berkeley, California (April 27, 1999)
>
> > USENIX is providing grants to the OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and
> > Debian Linux development projects, to support each of them in
> > issuing new releases.  These releases will be given free of charge
> > to all 1999 Annual Conference technical session registrants. The
> > 1999 Annual Conference takes place June 6-11, in Monterey,
> > California. Programs for the tutorial and technical sessions,
> > including the FREENIX track, and associated events are online.
> > Please go to http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix99
>
> Hmm, another FreeBSD produced to deadline :(
>
> I don't want 2 releases a year, I want 1 release every time FreeBSD
> is ready for a new release. Or does FreeBSD require 2 releases a
> year to keep Walnut Creek happy?

Go take a look at the releases page.. http://www.freebsd.org/releases/
There are new releases 3 or 4 times a year.

> Will this install and work out of the box. (unlike 3.1)?
> I don't want to take another credibility hit - have the high (as I
> perceived them) production values of 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 been ditched in
> an attempt to be as sexy as Linux?

I've got 3.1 running on a few different machines.. out of the box.  As
far as I know, there haven't been very many instances of 3.1 not
working out of the box or all hell would've been raised on the lists.
As I said, go take a look at the previous releases.. 4 in 1998, 5 in
1997.. we've had one so far this year, and June would be the time for
the next following the past release schedule.  Nothing to do with
being as sexy as Linux.

--
Jim Mock  System Administrator  jim@blues.ghis.net    ,-._|\  FreeBSD
work: Global Hosting Inet Svcs  http://www.ghis.net/ /      \ The