Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 21:53:38 +0100
From:      "Lasse Laursen" <laursen@netgroup.dk>
To:        "BigBrother" <bigbrother@bonbon.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS Performance woes

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have some additional questions:

> Well the only rule for selecting the number of nfsiods and nfsd is the
> maximum number of threads that are going to request an NFS operation on
> the server. For example assume that your web server has a typical number
> of httpd dameons of 50, that means that every httpd can access files on
> the server, and in the worst case both 50 httpd will request
> simultaneoulsy different NFS operations. This means that you should have
> at least 50 NFSIOD (on the client+server) and 50 NFSD running (on the
> server).

A read operation (typical operation for all the clients) does not alter any
data? So
does every read request require a nfsd? Lets assume a worst case scenario
where
50 http servers access 50 different files - would I need 50 NFS daemons to
run
on the server to obtain maximum performance then?

> Remember that NFSIOD must run both on CLIENT and SERVER.

(Taken from the man page pf nfsiod)

     Nfsiod runs on an NFS client machine to service asynchronous I/O
requests
     to its server.  It improves performance but is not required for correct
     operation.

Why should I start the nfsiod daemon on the server?

> Of course you cannot optimize the NFS system in one day...it needs a lot
> of time to take measurements and check from time to time if you have
> enough NFSIOD or NFSD, because system load distribution tend may change
> and you may see that more or less NFS processes have to exist..

Yep - At the moment one nfsd idles - I will monitor the number of processes
and try to change the setup and see how the cluster performs.

Regards

--
Lasse Laursen <laursen@netgroup.dk> - Systems Developer
NetGroup A/S, St. Kongensgade 40H, DK-1264 København K, Denmark

- We don't surf the net, we make the waves.